Saturday, April 23, 2011

It's the little things.

I've recently broken up with one of my life's great loves.  Not to worry, John and I are still together.  No, the one with which I have parted-- with whom I had no idea I co-existed in such a love-hate (I loved him, he hated me) relationship is the one, the only...


gluten.


Yes, I've hopped aboard the gluten-free ship and I don't think I'll be disembarking.  I loathe fads when it comes to dietary changes.  However, after adopting a vegetarian diet, and then progressing to vegan and feeling infinitely better because of it I began to truly consider the effects of the things that enter my body.  I came across a book called "Crazy, Sexy Diet" by Kris Carr.  She is a stage 4 cancer patient who has been controlling her cancer for the past 8 years through diet specifically.  Now, she does have a rather rare and slow growing form of cancer, but it's stable and has been since she has made the changes outlined in the book.


I was already a vegan when I picked it up and thought I was doing rather well with it.  Then, she suggested going gluten free-- something at which I scoffed.  Then I read the symptoms-- (you can skip this part if you don't want too much shared information, k?)

  • Gaining fat or losing weight.*
  • Malnutrition and deficiency of iron.*
  • Abdominal problems such swelling, pain, gastric trouble, constipation and diarrhea.*
  • Joint pain.*
  • Nervousness.*
  • Inflammation over skin.*
  • Headache and giddiness.*
  • Fatigue.***
  • Anger and loss of temper.***
  • Irregular MC and miscarriage in women.
  • Cramps and numbness.*** (specifically in my legs)

I've put stars by the challenges I'd been facing.  So, after scoffing I thought about it in more detail and I figured if I was going to follow the diet then I ought to follow it through.  It's a 21 day cleanse and its focus deals with balancing your body's natural ph.  I enjoyed reading the book and have enjoyed adopting the diet.  For me, it's something that I have continued to stick with.

Sooo... I took gluten out of my diet and noticed a HUGE difference.  Way bigger than I ever expected.  Then, this past weekend due to the move I was unable to maintain my rigid dietary requirements (and by unable I really mean lazy, ok, there I said it).  

Anyhow, my symptoms are back with a vengeance and I am convinced that gluten-free is now a permanent status for me.

Why am I rambling on about this, you ask?

Bear in mind, I have very supportive friends and family.  However, when the subject comes up they inevitably say the same thing, "I couldn't do it."

For them, giving up those prized foods is just too much to deal with.  They'd rather deal with discomfort than part with their beloved grub.  For some, they just aren't having issues-- of COURSE they're not going to give up gluten, they don't need to.  For others, and one friend in particular, she is having issues and every member of her family has some level of gluten intolerance/celiac disease.  She won't give it up though, despite numerous health issues.  She just "couldn't" do it. 

I see a parallel between this and TTWD.  A lot of people "couldn't" give up their freedom to submit to their partner.  It's so dear to them that they would rather live in their current relationship.  If those relationships are good, once again, of COURSE they wouldn't change them.  Why fix what isn't broken.

It's those that are rocky, unhappy and weak that concern me.  Is each partner's freedom, independence and autonomy so valuable that it's worth the price of a good, solid and satisfying relationship?  Is independence so precious that the bond between two people should suffer to preserve it?  

When I discovered the link to gluten I went out and armed myself with information.  I bought cookbooks (primarily raw food cookbooks which are all gluten free), I joined groups and investigated the possibilities and learned that there is a whole world of amazing food-- with VARIETY which are categorized as gluten free.  Of course, eating out can be a challenge, but we should avoid doing that anyhow and there are a LOT of restaurants which are now adopting gluten free options.

We're just rearranging things a little bit and life is so much better I don't even feel like I'm making a sacrifice.  It's not easier, but it's BETTER.

It's so easy to focus on what is lost-- whether that's gluten or a little bit of independence.  But, sometimes the gain can be infinitely better if you allow it.  Health-- personal and relational, is an amazing experience.  For me, it's worth every bit of sacrifice and then some.  I feel like I've won the lottery.  I'm HAPPY.  

And, had I not given up gluten, had I not committed to giving up some of my dearly held independence I would have continued to live a life with which I was only satisfied-- just making it through.

I'm not saying gluten or TTWD are everyone's solution.  I'm saying that if you write something off as something you "couldn't" do... without even trying you could be missing out on a wonderful thing.  




4 comments:

Ally said...

As someone who recently gave up all my "favorite" foods, I know exactly what you mean...and I get the analogy too. So glad you found out what was making you feel bad.

JMDee said...

Thanks Ally--

Giving up certain foods is hard-- especially when life is crazy otherwise.

I hope things are going well for you in that department.

--JMD

Serenity said...

Love this comparison. One of my kids has had numerous food allergies over the years, including wheat, so I know how life changing gluten free is.

Good luck on your diet change.

Love,
Serenity

JMDee said...

Hi Serenity-- and welcome!

If you have any gluten free advice or info to pass on, please do. I'm still new at it and luckily, John is really supportive. We're trying all sorts of crazy stuff. It's worth it though, most definitely.

Best,

JMD